"The deeper and richer a personality is, the more full of paradox and contradiction. It's only a shallow character who offers us no problems of contrast." - Madeliene L'Engle
"Kayce Hughlett is the most interesting combination of wisdom and whimsy, knowing and naughty, inspirational and impish." - Christa Gallopoulos, artist & coach extraordinaire
Have you ever asked yourself the question, Who am I, and really tried to come up with an answer? It is impossibly difficult and incredibly simple. My first response is, I am no one, quickly followed by I am an amazing, complex woman that words cannot begin to describe. Both are true. One of my great passions is exploring paradox alongside those I encounter in my work and personal life.
So, Who am I? I am a woman, a mother, a wife, a sister, an orphan, a friend, a spiritual seeker, a lover of nature, a fan of cozy beds and warm fires. I am a grown person with the heart of a child. I am a romantic and I have my practical side. I experience God outside the box and I love old traditions. I grew up in the Bible Belt (Oklahoma) and relocated more than 20 years ago to the "most un-churched city in the country" (Seattle). My first career was as a posh accountant in a downtown highrise, now I'm an author and speaker who practices creative life coaching around the world.
I abhor that the world is filled with suffering, and I know affliction has helped create the individual I am today. I love music of all kinds, rhythm and movement. I thrive on new experiences, adore reading, blogging and movies ranging from the romantic to the contemplative. One of my favorite authors, Anne Lamott, calls laughter “carbonated holiness” and I couldn’t agree more heartily. Belly laughs are manna from heaven and there is also nothing better than a well-timed temper tantrum. Play time with friends and family is sacred as is quiet space and solitude.
I believe life is a journey toward authentic living and discovery of the truth within.
My credentials include:
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor in the State of Washington (#LH60081018)
- Masters of Counseling Psychology Degree including coursework in Spiritual Formation
- Certified Martha Beck Life Coach
- Author of As I Lay Pondering: daily invitations to live a transformed life and "Blue: a novel"
- Co-facilitator and volunteer for the Soltura Foundation, specializing in personal growth and healing workshops through experiential learning
- Former Practicum Facilitator/Counselor-trainer for The Seattle School of Theology & Psychology
- Instructor in Transformational Leadership Program at the Recovery Cafe
- Certificate of Completion from Awakening the Creative Spirit: Training for Spiritual Directors in Expressive Arts
- Memoir Writing Certificate from University of Washington Extension
- Trained SoulCollage® Facilitator
- Lifespan Integration trained therapist
- Continuing education and enrichment in my areas of interest and expertise
- Co-author "Arts-Centered Supervision" in Awakening the Creative Spirit: Bringing the Arts to Spiritual Direction